August 31st, 2017 by Jordan Bailey
The flagship of the Fred. Olsen fleet, Balmoral is also the largest. Despite this, she is still relatively small in modern standards, carrying just over 1,200 passengers. Balmoral has four restaurants. The main dining room is the Ballindalloch restaurant on Deck 6 and is open for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Two smaller dining rooms with large round windows are located towards the aft of Deck 10. A comfortable buffet restaurant opens out onto the aft terrace decks. The Neptune Lounge is the main entertainment venue aboard Balmoral and is home to cabaret-style shows, headline acts, and comedians. The Lido Lounge is another entertainment venue and plays host to daily trivia, game shows, live music, and the nightly disco. The Observatory Lounge offers views overlooking the bow of the ship and is a perfect quiet spot to relax on a sea day with a drink. A white-gloved Afternoon Tea service is also served here on selected days. The Spa and Gym also overlooks the front of the ship, giving you perfect views as you burn off those cruise calories.
At 24,000 GT, Braemar is the smallest of the Fred Olsen Cruise Lines fleet as is the perfect embodiment of the small ship, friendly service experience Fred. Olsen guests love. With a five-deck atrium letting in plenty of natural day light, as well as polished wood and brass fixtures, Braemar has a country manor house charm. Onboard, you'll find a superb selection of restaurants, bars and lounges offering sumptuous cuisine, a wide range of beers, wines and spirits and fantastic entertainment.
Black Watch is a sister-ship to Boudicca, yet each ship remains distinctly different in terms of both layout and decor. Carrying 880 passengers in spacious accommodation, Black Watch has plenty of outdoor deck space and spacious lounges to enjoy a drink in, such as the nautical-themed Observation Lounge offering unbeatable scenic views over the bow. In 2016, Black Watch received a multi-million pound makeover, which saw modernisation and improvements to all cabins, the restaurant as well as a new speciality restaurant, inspired by Scottish heritage.
Boudicca is a sister-ship to Black Watch, yet each ship remains distinctly different in terms of both layout and decor. Boudicca has spacious interiors, comfortable accommodation and a dedicated and hard-working crew. Boudicca is the perfect ship for a traditional cruising experience, coupled with amazing service, and a fantastic sociable atmosphere, which is why Fred. Olsen is so popular among solo travellers.
Brabant is the latest ship to join the Fred. Olsen fleet, offering the first-ever Fred. Olsen River Cruises. Carrying just 156 guests along Europe's most breath-taking waterways, Brabant is the perfect option for loyal Fred. Olsen guests, those who enjoy the friendly and intimate atmosphere the cruise line is known for, and for those who would like to experience their first river cruise with a brand they already know and love. Brabant has four decks, and features 79 beautiful rooms, plus a swimming pool and small fitness area, in addition to an intimate lounge bar and fantastic restaurant.
August 11th, 2017 by Jordan Bailey
Ocean World Travel have been one of Fred. Olsen’s top selling travel agents for many years, and our customers absolutely love the onboard experience, and fascinating itineraries – It’s why so many go back time and time again!
But what is it that our customers love about Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines? Here are the top 11 reasons to consider sailing with Fred. Olsen for yourself…
- Great food: Food is an important part of any cruise, and Fred. Olsen certainly deliver in this field. Customers are delighted with the quality of the food on board, and the incredible choices on offer every day. There is an impressive mixture of traditional British classics, gourmet dishes, and regional dishes.
- Traditional experience: You won’t find any gimmicks on Fred. Olsen or cost-cutting measures – Expect chocolates on your pillow at night, nuts and pretzels at the bar, and lovely, spacious teak decks.
- Great service: Traditional cruising style, together with a warm and friendly service, you can be rest assured the waiter will have learned your favourite drink by the second day!
- Drinks prices: Speaking of drinks, prices are very reasonable, and the selection is good too. Upgrade to all-inclusive drinks from just £15 per day.
- Perfect for solos: Onboard public spaces are perfectly designed for easily striking up a conversation with fellow passengers. There are several dedicated solo cabins, including some with balconies. Fred. Olsen also occasionally offer low, or no single supplements.
- British currency: Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines is aimed at British travellers, so everything is charged in Pounds Sterling. There’s no hassle worrying about exchange rates or any ambiguity over prices.
- Event cruises: The Fred. Olsen fleet travel the globe, and cruises are regularly scheduled to coincide with major events, such as the Monaco Gran Prix.
- Small ships: Fred. Olsen’s four small ships are perfect for visiting smaller ports on a comfortably-sized ship, instead of docking out of town, and having to walk miles to get from one end of the ship to the other.
- Dazzling entertainment: Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines offers stunning cabaret shows, headliner guest performers, and witty comedians. There is also plenty of other activities going on throughout the day, such as a daily quiz, live music, and expert demonstrations.
- Inspiring itineraries: There isn’t many places that Fred. Olsen do not travel to. Most cruises conveniently start from regional ports around the UK, and visit the Canaries, Mediterranean, Caribbean and Northern Europe. There are also exotic fly cruises to the Indian Ocean, as well as world cruises.
- Value for money: For the excellent level of service, and fabulous itineraries, cruise with Fred. Olsen are very reasonable priced.
Contact our friendly travel consultants to book your next cruise
Call 0800 368 9059 or email email@example.com
Remember – you’ll receive an exclusive Ocean World Travel discount when you book with us!
May 17th, 2017 by Francesca Bandini
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines have just announced their exciting new programme, European River Cruising. The new cruises will depart between April and November 2018 and are on general sale from the 26th of May. What to expect from Fred. Olsen river cruising?
Brabant – the way to Fred. Olsen river cruising
The line’s river ship is a 156-guest vessel, named Brabant. This small vessel, 110 meters long, confirms the importance of an intimate atmosphere on board for Fred. Olsen River Cruises. However, on board there is plenty of space both in the public areas and on deck, so guest can admire the panorama in comfort as they sail by.
Brabant was built in 2006 and its name is dear to the Fred’s heirs: “the name Brabant harks back to Fred. Olsen’s historic passenger ship of the same name from the 1920s” as Justin Stanton, Sales and Marketing Director, stated.
Brabant has a country house hotel feel to it, the elegance of the cherry wooden interiors is contrasted by modern and vibrant colours. The atmosphere is elegant yet everything is made to enhance relaxation and enjoy never seen before views. In fact, many staterooms feature a Juliette balcony with panoramic views. The homely feel will be spread throughout the four decks with less than 80 rooms and suites and with 40 crew members.
The Fred.’s difference translated into Fred. Olsen river cruising
- The British market is still the focus: the traditional British style of cruising will not be left out Brabant, English will be the main language on board and the cuisine will certainly have a British flair.
- Sterling on board: the cruise line will maintain pounds as a currency.
- ‘Home-from-home’ atmosphere: the friendly and welcoming atmosphere will continue on river cruising, your needs will always be a priority aboard.
- Award Winning Customer Service: friendly. efficient and personal customer service will be another feature of Fred. Olsen River Cruise.
- Scenic cruising: with more time dedicated to daily cruising, allowing guests to experience astonishing panoramic views.
- Unmissable excursions: Fred. Olsen is transporting into river cruising their passion for excursions that give guests the chance to collect unforgettable memories, get closer to the local culture and pepper their holidays with a bit of adventure.
- Enjoyment Promise: you can buy with confidence with the Enjoyment Promise, by booking your cruise at least 12 weeks before departure, and within 24 hours of sailing, you can decide to return home. And your flight will be paid and your cruise fare reimbursed.
Sneak peek of the Fred. Olsen River Cruises brochure
Curious to know what is yet to come? Here is an idea of what you can expect, when the cruises go on sale. One of our top picks is the Springtime Dutch Discovery – A fantastic cruise discovering some of the most picturesque and less known spots of Europe, cruising the Pannerden Canal and the remarkable Dutch countryside. This cruise is the perfect way to try out river cruising and you will also be amongst the first to travel with Fred. Olsen River cruises, plus the starting price is only from £999pp*!
Brabant will be visiting the most iconic ports of Europe, itineraries include, Düsseldorf, Germany to Amsterdam, The Netherlands; Düsseldorf to Nuremberg, Germany; Nuremberg to Budapest, Hungary; Budapest to Hirsova (Bucharest), Romania; Düsseldorf to Basel, Switzerland; and Hirsova (Bucharest) to Düsseldorf. The cruise duration is varied too to accommodate all the liking, from 5 to 25 nights. Flights and transfers will be included in the fare, but there is the option to purchase cruise only.
We bet that Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines lovers will book a river cruise onboard Brabant immediately. In fact, we think cabins will sell out fast once on general sale, on the 26th May, so contact us today to ensure priority booking. Remember, our best price promise guaranteed: we will be able to give a discount to the brochure fare.
Good luck to Fred. Olsen River Cruises too for this brave new venture!
*Terms and conditions: Prices shown are subject to availability based upon 2 adults sharing the lowest available grade within the stateroom type specified. Offer is subject to availability and can be withdrawn at any time. The promotion is applicable to new bookings only. Cruise line terms and conditions apply. Errors and omissions excepted. Prices and availability are correct at time of publishing and may go up or down. Including flights from London. Other airports available at a supplement.
February 2nd, 2017 by admin
Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines has just announced the appointment of Justin Stanton as its new Sales and Marketing Director.
Based at its Head Office in Ipswich, Suffolk, Justin Stanton has been Head of Marketing for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines since 2012. In his new role, Justin will take responsibility for the Sales Department alongside the Marketing Department.
Justin joined Fred. Olsen in 2006 as Marketing Services Manager, primarily responsible for production of brochures and brand advertising. Previously, he worked for eight years at the award-winning specialist Tapestry Holidays in the Sales & Marketing team, latterly as Head of Marketing. With more than 20 years’ experience in the travel industry, Justin started his career as a graduate trainee at Harrods.
Speaking about his new appointment, Justin Stanton said:
“I am very pleased to have the opportunity to further develop Fred. Olsen’s position as a leader in smaller-ship cruising. We have excellent brand awareness, a superb product – which our guests love – and fantastic support from our trade partners, who are vital to our business.
“Having worked at Fred. Olsen for ten years, I look forward to supporting the team in the future development of the company.”
Mike Rodwell, Managing Director for Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, said:
“This appointment will further strengthen our management team, and is part of the important restructuring that has been taking place over the last few months. Justin’s main objectives will be to continue to refine our marketing output, and to build on the strong relationships that we have with our travel trade partners, who produce the bulk of our bookings.
“We have a strong and dynamic senior team in place, who are committed to ensuring that our cruises engage and delight our guests for many years to come. We wish Justin the very best in his new role.”
From all at Ocean World Travel, we wish Justin the very best in his new role.
December 15th, 2016 by Matthew Bayford
Exciting news from Fred. Olsen - a new itinerary for 2019 is now on sale!
The Balmoral will visit California, Mexico & the Panama Canal on this fantastic 62 night cruise. The cruise details are -
Date: 19 January 2019
Sets sail from: Southampton
Itinerary: Southampton - Funchal - Bridgetown - Kralendijk - Cartagena de Indias - Colon - Panama Canal Transit - Acajutla - Puerto Vallarta - Mazatlan - Cabo San Lucas - San Francisco - Los Angeles - San Diego - Acapulco - Puntarenas - Oranjestad - Philipsburg - Ponta Delgada - La Coruna - Southampton
Prices start from just £5,999 per person!
Call us today to book your place on this exciting itinerary - 0800 368 9050
November 14th, 2016 by Francesca Bandini
Cruisers’ favourite ship “Black Watch” will undergo a multi-million pound refurbishment on the 20 November 2016 to get ready for the 2017/2018 cruises. The ship will be undertaking upgrades to the public areas as well as the cabins, also the usual maintenance work will take place. As Mike Rodwell, Managing Director of Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines, said:
“Our significant investment in refurbishing and upgrading Black Watch will ensure that our guests will be able to enjoy her classic looks and unique, intimate ambience for many years to come.”
Are you curious to see what is going to change on Black Watch? Don’t miss the boat and explore all the upgrades that will take place.
What are the major changes of the Black Watch of the future?
After the refurbishment, Black Watch will certainly have a fresher look and everyone is looking forward to seeing the end result. The main areas to be tackled will be the public lounges.
- A new Interactive TV system will be installed in the 423 cabins across the ship
- All the bathrooms are due to be refurbished
- Safes and mini-bars as standard will be located in the cabins
- The Garden Cafe is being converted into a new restaurant, ‘Brigadoon‘ in keeping with Fred’s scottish connections: The new restaurant will offer a stylish dining experience (for up to 54 guests)
- The Braemar Courtyard will turn into a speciality dining restaurant called ‘The Black Watch Room’, providing an à la carte menu: for example steaks cooked to order (for up to 46 guests)
- The Glentanar restaurant will be also transformed completely with a new organisation and new look
- The Morning Light Pub will be relocated on the actual Braemar Lounge, a new bar will be installed and there will be new furniture and fabrics
- New Neptune bar in place of the old Morning Light Pub, and all the bars will be modernised
- 3D movies and shows will be projected in the Marina Theatre
Black Watch will depart soon to the Blohm + Voss shipyard in Hamburg, she will be refitted in 26 days. Her first sailing will be a festive cruise to the German Christmas market on December the 15th from London Tilbury.
Similar upgrades are expected to the rest of the fleet – Balmoral, Braemar & Boudicca in the coming years.
Image credit: Fred. Olsen Cruise Lines